If you know me in the 'real-world'... Keep it to yourself.

Do NOT tell my friends and family about this blog!

This blog is a work in progress. Eventually, when it grows up, it wants to look pretty. Or maybe dark and dangerous.

Hmm... well come back later and see for yourself...

If you want to contact me but are a) too chicken to leave a public comment and
b) too lazy to look up my email address from my profile
use the form below.

Name:
Email Address:

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Feni

Found out something strange yesterday and just had to share.

For those who haven't heard of it, Feni is distilled liquor from cashews. It's loved by many, hated by even more, and Goa's most famous product.

For years Goans have been telling others about the 'undrinkableness' of Feni. The way it burns its way down your throat, the fact that it's the strongest drink around. For years Goans have stood back, watched as a non-goan took his first sip of cashew feni and then had a good laugh at the expression on his face.

Many Goan children are allowed a sip or two of feni at quite a young age as it's considered a miracle cure for colds and stomach upsets alike.

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend of mine (Suspect - for those who've been here before) and feni was mentioned. And he said he loved it. I was puzzled. How did an 18 year old Noida kid get a taste for feni. I knew he'd visited Goa once and figured that he'd tasted it then. But this trip of his was more than a year previously and was a 'family' vacation. I couldn't really see his parents giving him feni to drink!

Well I asked him about it and then the whole story came out... Apparently while I thought feni was safely at home in Goa its been kicking up its heels all over the place. It reached Noida! Thats not even one of the main metros.

Apparently feni is the drink of choice for anyone who wants to get drunk. It's 'cheap, great for getting drunk and tastes good with whatever cheap additive is around' in Suspect's own words.

According to Suspect, up north everyone is creating 'bastardized feni cocktails' with red bull / tetrapack orange juice / three week old coconut milk / and even pineapple juice!!

It's like a child I once knew grew up when my back was turned. And not only that, apparently the child has become a world traveller and is sleeping around with trash!

Feni, feni... roaming so far from home...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be worse ..... for instance the Feni could be manufactured in China :O

But nothing compares to the real deal
Viva la Feni :)

Trinaa said...

i cud do wid some feni! :P

KD13 said...

@ Anonymous - Chinese feni... guess many would prefer that since it would probably be at 1/4th the current cost.

:)

I'm guessing even you would give it a shot.

@ Trinaa - Well maybe someday I'll get you some "authentic" feni!

FifthBeatle said...

Amen to that!

- Feni Lover

KD13 said...

@ Arnold - another feni lover... they seem to be popping up everywhere... :)

FifthBeatle said...

Well, it isn't the greatest surprise in the world seeing as in:

a. I'm Goan, and
b. See a.

But somehow I don't really like it with anything other than a lime-mixer. Neat is a little too much for me! Know any good places that serve it in this city?

KD13 said...

@ Arnold - Ok, didn't know you were Goan. Or if I ever knew it I forgot. :) and nope, I don't know any place that serves it in Pune.

Guess you'll just have to stock up in Goa every now and then... :p

Anonymous said...

I had been arguing with my close friend on this issue for quite a while, base on your ideas prove that I am right, let me show him your webpage then I am sure it must make him buy me a drink, lol, thanks.

- Kris