If you know me in the 'real-world'... Keep it to yourself.

Do NOT tell my friends and family about this blog!

This blog is a work in progress. Eventually, when it grows up, it wants to look pretty. Or maybe dark and dangerous.

Hmm... well come back later and see for yourself...

If you want to contact me but are a) too chicken to leave a public comment and
b) too lazy to look up my email address from my profile
use the form below.

Name:
Email Address:

Friday, October 27, 2006

Abuse

I have a friend who I'm going to call Layla.

I first met Layla when I'd just had a big change in my life. She was distant at first. We lived in the same flat and though we were thrown together a lot, she stayed aloof. At first I thought it was cos she was so proud of all that she'd achieved. Though she was just a couple of years older, she had a good job and was earning really well for someone of her age, sex and background.

And then I got to know her story. She had an abusive boyfriend. She'd been hurt many times. Hospitalised twice. She'd tried to kill herself once. All that money she earned went straight to her account and her dear boyfriend kept her ATM card. When she needed money she had to ask him to withdraw it and then had to account for every penny she spent.

I didn't realise how bad it was at first. I thought he was just a controlling jealous freak. I was a little rude to him one day when he dragged me into one of their fights. That day she came home with her hand twisted so badly she couldn't use it for almost a week. Another time he kept calling and cursing and we were so scared that he'd come and try to hurt her we both got out of there at dawn and stayed away the whole day.

I kept telling her to leave the guy. She kept telling me she couldn't. That this was the life she had chosen and that she had to stick to it. She was just in her mid-twenties but she believed she couldn't start again. She used to tell me everything would be okay once they were married.

I left that place a few months later.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this here. She's married now. To the same guy. I've met her and she seems the same. Her life hasn't changed much. I didn't ask her if he still beats her. Call me a coward if you will, but I didn't want to know. I saw the way he yells at her. Some things never change.

It takes courage to face things head on, sure. But it also takes courage to cut your losses and walk away. I wish I had helped her find that courage.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's a fool. Most guys who are violent towards women also end up being violent with their kids.

KD13 said...

yeah I asked her about that once. She assured me that he was only violent when he was jealous and that he'd never hurt his own child.

Kshitij L said...

You sure know some fucked up people, Karen.

KD13 said...

@ suspect - yeah, I'm a magnet for troubled souls.

I've always preferred learning from the mistakes of others so it all works out I guess...

Kshitij L said...

Mean mean mean...

Woozie said...

Double barreled shotguns can do wonders, if you ever find her, tell her that.

Woozie said...

Ever seen Chicago?

He had it comin', He had comin', he only had himself to blame...if you'd have been there, if you'd have seen it, I betcha you would have done the same!

KD13 said...

@ suspect - just teasin... :)

@ woozie - Oh I can find her easily enough. But after my last visit, when I had to watch her get yelled at all the time (while she pretended things were going really well), I'm not sure I want to find her. Ever!

SwB said...

hey karen, so hows life in your wormhole? :)

glenn said...

you're responsible for your own life. i guess if she chose to have a life like that. she has no one to blame.

sometimes love can be deaf & dumb & incredibly stupid as well !!

KD13 said...

@ saltwater blues - hey, nice seeing you here :)
Life's great when it doesn't suck! :D

@ glenn - Yeah life is choice. It's that simple. Pity the kids though. Even if he doesn't beat them no children should ever have to see their mother being treated badly. they'll grow up with no respect for women and they'll probably carry on the legacy in some way or the other.

FifthBeatle said...

Hmmm, interesting.. I actually need to think about this a little.. the matter's a *little* deeper than it might initially appear...