If you know me in the 'real-world'... Keep it to yourself.

Do NOT tell my friends and family about this blog!

This blog is a work in progress. Eventually, when it grows up, it wants to look pretty. Or maybe dark and dangerous.

Hmm... well come back later and see for yourself...

If you want to contact me but are a) too chicken to leave a public comment and
b) too lazy to look up my email address from my profile
use the form below.

Name:
Email Address:

Monday, November 13, 2006

Don't live each day like it's your last.

I've heard people saying that everyone should live each day like it's their last. That's a load of crap. The world would grind to a halt if everyone did that. Who would go to work on their last day on Earth? Not me. That's for sure!

Some years ago, my dad told me I'd die at 40 if I didn't improve my lifestyle. He denies it now but it's sunk in pretty deep. Though I laughed at the time, I think ever since then Ever since then I've lived my life as if I were going to die at 40. Every year I count down to the day.

Believing something like that makes me want to spend more time with everyone I love. It makes me renew bonds that might grow weak with time and it makes me appreciate those that maintain themselves.

It makes me read whatever I want to, whenever I want to, no matter how much work is piled up.

It makes me do things most people would label 'useless' just because they make me happy. I've danced on the street with a friend once just cos he said we'd never danced together.

It makes me avoid people who might prove a drain on my emotions. They might be wonderful people and sometimes I regret it, but in the end I just don't think it's worth wasting time on people with issues and hang-ups.

It makes me squeeze a laugh out of everything around me. I put on my sober face when required but I find it much too easy to laugh these days.


But one thing it does not do, is make me want to go out and work hard just so I can earn a fortune by the time I'm 35 or 40. What would be the point?

Most people work hard and slog their butts off so that they can relax when they get old.

Since I'm not sure I'll ever have the privilege of dying 'an old crone, lying in my bed' I think I had subconsciously decided to live the other way around. Relax now and work hard later.

Does that seem like a good thing?

Nah. That's not so good.

Particularly if I don't die at 40.

I now have 15 years to go. And I find myself thinking of all the times my dad has been wrong.

Damn!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... is it safe to say it here?

Or will I be flushed down the drain too?

Hell... I'll take my chances...

Happy Birthday Sweetheart! Mwaaahh :D

iz said...

Thanks Karen. I'm honoured. And have linked you right back. PS: Is it your birthday? If so then HAPPY BIRTHDAY! As someone who's considerably closer to 40 than you are, it just gets better.

Kshitij L said...

Happy birthday, Karen.

By the way, I have the solution to your problem: marry a millionaire, then live however the fuck you like for a few years. Then kill him -- making sure he leaves all the money to you -- and then marry someone you really love.

I hate cats. I hate all kinds of cockroaches, but cats are the worst kinds.

KD13 said...

John...
Damn, I'm too chirpy to be mad :D

Thanks!

@ iz - Thanks! I think I'll agree with you. Life does keep getting better :D

@ vermicelli - yeah. I thought of something like that. About 10 years ago. So will u marry me once I've killed the unsuspecting victim? Or will u be the unsuspecting victim.

Anonymous said...

Hey just stopped by and thought I'd wish you again here...

Happy Birthday.

ok, its a day late but it's the pst that counts

:D

Anonymous said...

hey sorry... that ^ should have been 'post'.

sudden_sue said...

hey it was really nice talking to you for so long yesterday. I wish I could go back a year or so and freeze time there..

and I'll join amy in wishing u again here.

so i can point to it next yr.

Happy Birthday Sweetheart,

*hugs and kisses*

Anonymous said...

What a great post! My father passed away when he was 46, I was terrified to turn 46-thinking I might die at that age also!

I have linked U at my site!

; ]

KD13 said...

@ amy, s_s and starbender - Thanks!

:D

@ starbender - I'm having problems accessing your site, the pop-ups really suck :(

sudden_sue said...

Comin here after a long time. I seem to have missed ur b'day. Anyway, happy belated b'day.

You seem to be still sleeping of the booze!!!

Woozie said...

Still sick as a bitch?

KD13 said...

@ bachelor_boy - I don't have to sleep off the effects of booze. It doesn't affect me :D
Honestly! Any swaying is just me feeling all happy and in the mood to dance.

@ woozie - Sick? Not any more. All the liquor killed all the little germs. Genocide with a difference.